Joining Mutts On A Mission is an important step in bringing smiles to those who could use a lift from your team’s visits. The requirements are few, but important.
First, please know that Mutts On A Mission is no longer accepting service, assistance or emotional support dogs and their handlers to become therapy team members. We are committed to the wellbeing of both animals and people, and we feel that it is asking too much of any dog to subject him or her to the stress and emotional pressure of more than one of these huge and challenging jobs.
- Your dog must be at least 18 months old, younger than 10 years old and lived with you for at least six months.
- Your dog must be in good health and current on all required health vaccines, tests, and examinations.
- You and your dog must be evaluated and become a registered therapy team. We are an affiliate of Intermountain Therapy Animals (ITA) based in Salt Lake City Utah and we conduct a one day workshop and evaluation locally. By becoming a registered therapy dog team you are eligible for insurance coverage through ITA. We encourage you to visit Intermountain Therapy Animals to learn about this quality organization.
- After you become a registered therapy team you will complete an on-line application to join Mutts On A Mission. You will be asked to upload copies of your Intermountain Therapy Animals ID registration card and your Rabies certificate. The link for the application is below.
- Once you have submitted your online application, a member of Mutts On A Mission will contact you and help facilitate you and your pet through the remainder of the application process. This will include, as appropriate,
- an informal meeting to get to know you and your pet a little better and to make sure this is a good fit for all of us;
- “shadowing” a Mutts On A Mission team at one of our facilities (without your pet) to see what we do firsthand;
- and three supervised visits by you and you pet with a current Mutts On A Mission member at the one or more of our facilities.
- Once you have completed the three supervised visits we will ask for your dues ($15/year prorated as to when you are joining), issue you a shirt, give you an order form for BookBarks and issue you a Mutts On A Mission badge.
- Where applicable, you will be asked to complete a volunteer program application with your chosen facility complying with all their requirements to become a volunteer which may require health tests.
- You should be willing to volunteer a minimum of two visits per month at the facility of your choice.
- We recommend you purchase a vest for your pet with “Therapy Dog” or “Therapy Pet” patches to provide a visual indication to the facilities you visit that you are “on duty”.
Not ready to apply yet but want more information? You can contact us.
To start your application process, Apply Now!